Thanks to the caravanning and boating communities, lots of equipment is available to run from a 12 volt or 24 volt is common. Unless you are planning a pure grid tie installation, you may wish to consider running at least some of your devices directly from your DC supply rather than running everything through an inverter (which adds an additional element of inefficiency to the system).
Thanks to the caravanning and boating communities, lots of equipment is available to run from a 12 volt or 24 volt supply: light bulbs, fridges, ovens, kettles, toasters, coffee machines, hairdryers, vacuum cleaners, televisions, radios, small washing machines and laptop computers are all available to run on 12 volt or 24 volt supplies. You can also charge up most portable items such as MP3 players and mobile phones from a 12 volt supply.
- There are various components that make up a solar power system.
- Multiple solar panels can be joined together to create a more powerful solar array - Learn how to build a solar panel.
- Solar electricity is stored in batteries, to provide an energy store and provide a more constant power source.
- A controller manages the batteries, to provide an energy store and provide a more constant power source.
- A controller manages the batteries, ensuring the battery pack does not get over charged by the solar array and does not get over discharged by the devices taking current from the batteries.
- An inverter takes the low voltage DC current from the batteries and converts it into a high voltage AC current that is suitable for running devices that require mains power.
- Generally, it is more efficient to use the electricity as a DC supply than a high voltage AC supply.
Useful information solar panels:
Learn how to build a solar panel: